This page is intended to be a digital curriculum vitae for my musical endeavors, including a comprehensive list of projects, collaborations, performances, etc. in which I’ve been involved! I spend most of my time outside of work and academics on music-related extracurriculars, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Side note: once I graduate in May 2022 and move to the Bay Area for my full-time job I will be actively looking for opportunities, so please let me know if you have any in mind!
Ruiran Xun (she/her) is a Pittsburgh-based collaborative pianist and music director. She is a senior at Carnegie Mellon University studying chemistry and computer science, and outside of academics she is actively involved in theatre and other musical endeavors. Ruiran has previously worked with the Pittsburgh Festival Opera (resident artist pianist, assistant music director) and the CMU School of Music (voice lesson and rehearsal pianist). She’s currently the assistant conductor for the CMU All-University Orchestra, and continues to serve in various music direction-adjacent roles on productions by Scotch’n’Soda Theatre, CMU’s student-led theatre organization.
Productions and Performances
- The Turn of the Screw (rehearsal pianist) @ CMU School of Music, 04/2020. Dir. Kyle Lang, cond. Sara Jobin. Production timeline cut short due to COVID-19.
- Virgula Divina (music director, conductor, pianist) @ Pittsburgh Festival Opera, 07/2019. Dir. Rose Freeman, co-mus. dir. Robert Frankenberry.
- Night Flight of Minerva’s Owl (music director, pianist) @ Pittsburgh Festival Opera, 07/2019. Dir. Rose Freeman, co-mus. dir. Robert Frankenberry.
- Die Liebe der Danae (pianist) @ Pittsburgh Festival Opera, 07/2019. Dir. Rose Freeman, cond. Benjamin Makino.
- Mister Rogers’ Operas (asst. music director, pianist) @ Pittsburgh Festival Opera, 07/2019. Dir. Tomé Cousin, mus. dir. Robert Frankenberry.
- The Rocky Horror Show (music director) @ Scotch’n’Soda Theatre, 10/2021.
- The Great Hunger (composer) @ The Tank, 09/2021. Wr. Kallan Dana, dir. Erica Schnitzer.
- Little Shop of Horrors (pianist, audio editor) @ Scotch’n’Soda Theatre, 04/2021.
- Behind Closed Doors (composer, audio editor) @ Scotch’n’Soda Theatre, 10/2020.
- S’n’Sings: Side by Side by Side (music director, pianist) @ Scotch’n’Soda Theatre, 05/2020.
- This Side Up (pianist) @ CMU School of Music, 02/2020. Wr. Matthew Zwiebel.
- The Light in the Piazza (rehearsal pianist) @ CMU School of Music, 01/2020. Dir. Seamus Ricci, cond. Christopher Larkin.
- Birds & Beansprouts (pianist) @ CMU School of Drama, 12/2019. Wr. Joe Young, dir. Emma Cordray, mus. dir. Joshua Gregg Fried.
- Catch Me If You Can (pianist) @ Scotch’n’Soda Theatre, 10/2019.
- 12th Annual Benefit Cabaret (pit violinist) @ Scotch’n’Soda Theatre, 10/2019.
- High School Choosical (pianist) @ New Works Coffeehouse, 05/2019.
- Miscast Cabaret (pianist) @ Scotch’n’Soda Theatre, 05/2019.
- MAMMA MIA! (music director, pianist) @ Scotch’n’Soda Theatre, 04/2019.
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (rehearsal pianist, pit percussionist) @ Scotch’n’Soda Theatre, 10/2018.
- 11th Annual Benefit Cabaret (pianist) @ Scotch’n’Soda Theatre, 10/2018.
- Mary Poppins (pianist) @ TJ Theater Arts, 02/2018.
- AUO Chamber Orchestra/Flutonium Concert (11/2021). Conducted the Chamber Orchestra in Felix Mendelssohn’s Hebrides Overture.
- Carnegie Mellon Wind Ensemble Concert (10/2021). Performed in Francis Poulenc’s Suite Francaise on harpsichord, Ned Rorem’s Sinfonia for 15 Winds on piano and celesta, and Bernstein’s Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs on piano.
- Virtual Student Composer Concert (05/2021). Performed in Joe Brauch’s Summer Silence, Bennett Garfield’s Winds, and Matthew Zwiebel’s for Now: not Then, and who knows Later.
- Virtual Student Composer Concert (05/2020). Performed in Joshua Gregg Fried’s UNDER CONTROL and Ian Kaneko’s The Soul has Bandaged Moments.
- Pierre Vallet’s Masterclass (09/2019). Served as an alternate pianist.
- Freshman Showcase (05/2019). Performed in Joshua Gregg Fried’s where the sidewalk ends (on piano) and Matthew Zwiebel’s SEA (on violin).
- Joe Brauch’s Junior Composition Recital (05/2019). Performed his solo Piano Sonata No. 1 and played in his chamber ensemble piece Mischief Night.
- Jieying Zhang’s Master’s Recital (04/2019). Accompanied the whole recital.
- Translating Belonging: German-Jewish Poetry in Classical Art Song (05/2021). Virtually collaborated with Anna Sophia Boyd on their senior capstone project at CMU.
- PianOpera! (07/2020). Performed in a pianist-only showcase for Pittsburgh Festival Opera’s summer season.
- Scotch’n’Soda Theatre (vice president), 05/2021 – present (ending 05/2022), Pittsburgh, PA. Serving as VP on the Board during my senior year, overseeing mainstage productions and managing a variety of administrative tasks throughout the year.
- CMU All-University Orchestra (assistant conductor), 05/2021 – present (ending 05/2022), Pittsburgh, PA. Also assisting with routine logistical operations as a member of the Board.
- Scotch’n’Soda Theatre (secretary), 05/2019 – 05/2020, Pittsburgh, PA. Served as secretary on the Board of Directors during my sophomore year, overseeing mainstage productions and writing a weekly update email to the organization.
- CMU School of Music (accompanist), 09/2018 – 03/2020, Pittsburgh, PA. Played piano for first- and second-year voice students’ lessons, and worked as a rehearsal pianist for a few of the departments’ opera productions.
- Pittsburgh Opera (mobile app operator), 10/2019, Pittsburgh, PA. Ran cues for curated content provided through the Pittsburgh Opera Mobile App during the company’s run of Don Giovanni.
- Pittsburgh Festival Opera (resident artist pianist), 06/2019 – 07/2019, Pittsburgh, PA. Worked on multiple productions, as well as played piano for coachings, recitals, and cabarets in the Young Professional Artists Program.
- Instruments: piano (15+ yrs), violin (10+ yrs), mallet percussion (2 yrs in high school, primarily marimba), voice (3+ yrs, caveat: everything I know is second-hand knowledge from playing piano for many rehearsals and lessons, but I know enough to provide a healthy foundation and basic guidance to untrained vocalists at least in the context of musical theatre)
- Software: MainStage, Dorico, Logic Pro, GarageBand, Audacity
- Other: conducting, music direction, sightreading (high proficiency), transcription, learning music quickly (some highlights: sightreading Sweeney Todd’s piano/vocal score for a full run and learning The Turn of the Screw’s reduced piano part in under two weeks), absolute pitch (I suppose this one is technically not a learned skill)
References available upon request.
(The formatting of this page is somewhat inspired by Dave Malloy, who also happens to be one of my biggest musical inspirations.)